Re: Forms4.5 question -- 2 users accessing the same row in table

From: QuadTwin <quadtwin_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/04/01

Janice Powell Clemson Univ. wrote:

> We have an electronic forms routing application that allows one user
> to process a document and then send it on for approval. This
> application allows those in the approval process to view the
> document; thus, multiple users can view it simultaneously. In
> testing, we have found that if one user is updating the document, the
> others who try to show it get a Forms4.5 "error" saying something
> like the data cannot be obtained, keep trying? You can click yes or
> no and then it appears to continue trying to query the data.
>
> How can we avoid that situation? Do we issue some type of lock? Also,
> has anyone had a similar problem w/ accessing a sequence? If so, how
> did you handle that?
>

> Any info is greatly appreciated. Please send replies to
> powell_at_clemson.edu.
>
> Thanks. --JP

Only one user can update a record at a time. Your form must update a row even when someone is just reviewing the data. It can be as simple as assigning a value to a base-table column within a trigger?

With a proper implementation, users can read a record while it is updated by a writer. Only when the reader turns to writing, does a message warn that you have to obtain a write-lock and requery.

Your form should not modify any base-table columns until after the user attempts to modify data in the record. If the sequence generator is used by someone reading the record, this may be causing the problem.

Al Lawson
Interactive Group, Inc.
www.interactive-group.com
lawsona_at_interactive-group.com Received on Tue Apr 01 1997 - 00:00:00 CEST

Original text of this message