Oracle 7.3 and Win3.x and Pro-C

From: Lars Pihlcrantz <larsp.dst_at_denex.se>
Date: 1997/03/20

Hello Gurus,
A more detailed description of my previous question. My set-up:
Oracle database 7.3.2.2.1, SQL*Net 2.3.2.1.6, ODBC 1.15.3.1.0B.

Scenario 1:
Starting Oracles ODBC-Test 1.0.0.1, - comes as a part of 7.3 - in two instances, do a query from both instances works OK. When the first Disconnects, the remain program reports following when next query executes:

SQLSTATE:S1000
Native Error Code 3114 (not connected to ORACLE)

Scenario 2:
Starting Oracles ODBC-Test and a Microsoft QUERY (that uses Oracle DLL's) results in the same disaster and error code. More exact, all ODBC app's behaves the same.

Scenario 3:
Starting two Pro-C (2.2.2.0.2) applications works fine. When one terminates, the remaining app reports:

ORA-03113 end_of_file on communication channel.
ORA-01042 internal error. hostdef extension doesn’t exist.
ORA-01001 invalid cursor.

It even happens to Oracle's Pro-C sample apps!

I can spy on the DLL's and when the first app terminates, the top level DLL unloads.
DLLs : NTN, NT, NS, NASNS, NL, LIBNCR, SQLTNS.

Question:
Why did it work well in Oracle 7.1 but fails in 7.3? Maybe someone from Oracle US can answer. Oracle support in Sweden cannot.

Lars Pihlcrantz
Denex Systems Technology AB
larsp.dst_at_denex.se