Re: Tab Control , Forms 4.5 , tabswitching

From: Jens U. Veigel <jens_at_deutschware.com>
Date: 1997/03/11

Alex,

I received a quiet elegant solution ( I thought of the same idea) as you have, to put an item that is really small under the columns of the tab to manuever too. But then Albert had a better idea, with which I'm going now, and it's beautiful. I made on each canvas (tab ) I even have tabs inside of tabs, like under the report tabs I have dayly,weekly monthly, quarterly, yearly, etc tabs) so there are alot of tabs in my app, but to come to the point, a DUMMY item, that has coordinates of "0" and is a text item, and navigable the other items on my canvas I made them all display items(so it's totally foolproof) the maneuvering works now great, I don't even think I need to use show_canvas anymore, but I do GO_ITEM ('BLOCKNAME.DUMMY'), since the dummy item has specified on what canvas it is on, it pops up automatically.
I also have a hide_tab routine to "wipe" the screen on certain occasions, when smaller tabs are called and a big one was in front of it etc. But that seems to work now fine. Thanks again for your suggestions.
All I need to do now is to figure out how to prevent a username from clicking to a tab, but instead give him/her a message saying (sorry acess denied) this will be for sensitive and mainenace section, which I make assessable on yet another tab :o)

I get the user name by doing this:
in a WHEN-WINDOW-ACTIVATED Trigger:
select user into :control.userid from dual;

so I know the user and display it , and I should be able to use this in an easy routine (procedure) when I click on the maintaince tab, to check with:....

if correct user id ....go to default (go to the tab), else ... error message.
It does not seem to work. Is there such a thing as default in pl ??

any sample code ???
Any suggestions are allways appreciated..

Jens
jens_at_deutschware.com

 <snip>
>Otherwise, you will just have to have an enterable item on the canvas
>you want to see. It is possible to create this item with a size of 1
>pixel X 1 pixel, not updateable, visual attribute the same as the
>canvas. The user will not then see the cursor, nor be able to type
>anything when you navigate to this item. (Note that navigable must still
>be set on, just Updateable and insert_allowed set off).
>
>Hope this helps.
>
>(BTW, we are using version 5 of VSVBX. I know some people have had
>problems with tis, but we have had none.)
<snip> Received on Tue Mar 11 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message