Re: Help With DBMS_OUTPUT

From: AlexJent <alexjent_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/03/08

HI Ed,

     No you cannot turn the buffering off...That's the way it is! What I have resorted to is using the UTL_FILE package to write/append to a file that can be "tailed" under unix. Take a peek at it.... I'm sure it will work for you if you have PL/SQL 2.2 or higher.

Good luck.

Ed asked:

..I'm using DBMS_OUTPUT in a stored procedure that print a key value
..after doing some computations and an insert. When I run this
..procedure from SQLPlus, I get no output until the stored proc is
..finished. I then get pummelled with a few hundred lines of output.
..The stored proc takes about 15 minutes to execute, therefore I can only
..assume that the output is being buffered somehow. Does anyone know if
..this is the case, and if there is a way to turn it off? I want
..to monitor the progress during runtime, and currently the output
..is of little use.

Alex Jentilucci - Consultant
Information System Dynamics, Inc
Minneapolis, MN 55323
Tele: 612-476-7395 FAX: 612-473-5954 E-Mail: infosys_at_aol.com

E-Mail Work: jentilucci_at_notes.seagate.com

          Home: AlexJent_at_aol.com Received on Sat Mar 08 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message