Re: Developer/2000 relase 2

From: Finn Ellebaek Nielsen <ellebuk_at_post3.tele.dk>
Date: 1997/03/06

Tony Ziemba wrote:

> Finn Ellebaek Nielsen wrote:
> >
> > Tony Ziemba wrote:
> > >
> > > The Web Developer/2000 (release 1.4w) is now available on Solaris and
> > > will be available soon on NT and other Unix platforms. This release
> > > includes an application server that can serve your runtime forms through
> > > a browser as screens painted by a generic java applet. Existing forms
> > > will run on the web through a browser if you haven't used MDI windows or

                                      ???????????????????????????????

> > > horizontal scrollbars (which are not supported in java). There are a few
> > > other minor changes that you might need to make to run existing apps.
> >
> > What is meant by this? You cannot use anything but MDI windows in Forms for
> > Windows (SDI is not supported)?
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Finn
> >
> You can use MDI windows for Forms 4.5 client/server applications but
> then you cannot run those same applications with the new runtime Forms
> Applications Server as a web application. The Developer/2000 WebForms
> uses a web-based application server that downloads a generic java applet
> that serves as the presentation layer for runforms. Java does not
> support the concept of MDI windows so you need to rearchitect Forms
> applications that you want to run from within a browser. Standard
> client/server Forms applications will continue to be supported as
> currently.
>
> tz
> --
> Tony Ziemba
> Strategic Architect tziemba_at_corp.idt.net
> IDT Corporation 201-928-4371

Hi,

I guess what you mean is this, please correct me if I'm wrong: Since ALL Forms 4.5 applications on Windows are MDI apps it cannot be true that MDI is not supported for the Web. But if a Forms module only has ONE window, the app will be converted to an SDI (Single Document Interface) app an hence be supported for the Web. Am I right?

Cheers,

Finn

 Finn Ellebaek Nielsen          Oracle Associated Senior Consultant
 Ellebaek Consulting            E-mail:           ellebuk_at_post3.tele.dk
 Niels Ebbesens Vej 9, 3. th.   Mobile Phone:     +45 20 32 49 25
 DK-1911  Frederiksberg C       Mobile Phone SMS: 20324925_at_sms.tdm.dk (Subject)
 Denmark                        Private Phone:    +45 33 25 34 50
 "Life is a beach and then you dive"                      "Divers do it deeper"