Re: Column Encryption

From: Connor McDonald <mcdonald.connor.cs_at_bhp.com.au>
Date: 1997/03/04

mplantin_at_rci.rogers.com wrote:

> I am looking to find software that will encrypt/decrypt data at the column
> level. In addition, I would like to be able grant a specific role or userid
> the ability to decrypt the data when they access it.
>
> Looking for ideas!!!!
>
> Mike Plantinga

We used a database trigger to encrypt the column and then used views to call a PL/SQL function on the column to decrypt it. Then only certain users got access to that view...

Clunky ... but it worked (for manageable volumes).. (PS - I am sure there is a better way)
Cheers

--
Connor McDonald
Systems Administrator-Unix/Oracle