Froms 4.5 column security

From: Hector R. Garcia <Hector.Garcia_at_kmail.ksc.nasa.gov>
Date: 1997/02/25

We are developing an application an we anticipated using column security based on roles on Oracle Forms 4.5.6.2.1, running HPUX 9.5 and Oracle Server 7.2.3.0.0.

Column security will not work using Forms 4.5.6.2.1 running HPUX. In order to make it work we would have to call a new form (reload form with new database info about roles) every time a new role was needed. The suggested fix was to upgrade to Forms 4.5.7. The problem there is that I have to upgrade the Operating System to HPUX 10.20 before I can get Forms 4.5.7. This is not a good solution at this time.

What we opted in doing was to query the view that holds the column security and the role name, then based on the query result, reset the item property to update allowed. This works OK. The problem here is that it takes to long for the query to run.

Query:

select TABLE_NAME, COLUMN_NAME, ROLE

   from ROLE_TAB_PRIVS
   where PRIVILEGE='UPDATE' and OWNER='PRDB' and    ROLE in (select role from SESSION_ROLES);

Note: `PRDB' is the role granter.

I can make a table in the 'PRDB' schema based on the same query and i will run very fast. BUT In order to maintain integrity every time the table ROLE_TAB_PRIVS is modified the table in the PRDB schema needs to be updated. A database trigger will take care of the update BUT since ROLE_TAB_PRIVS is a view and is based on a number of system tables that I do not know the table name or columns, I can not write a database trigger.

I need help to figure out what tables to write a database trigger against.

HR Garcia
KSC
FL. Received on Tue Feb 25 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message