Re: Oracle and Word Perfect

From: Steve Jakob <sjakob_at_octrf.on.ca>
Date: 1997/02/21

In article <wog1ysb912.fsf_at_menpachi.nmfs.hawaii.edu>, jdane_at_menpachi.nmfs.hawaii.edu says...

>Anyone know if there are any word processors out there that are able
>to directly access documents stored in Oracle tables? I understand
>that such interfaces exist for Excel, but what about Word, WP, etc.?
>
>Thanks,
>joe dane

I assume you mean that the document is stored in a LONG variable.

Theoretically possible with ODBC drivers, although I've had a lot of problems with GPF's attempting such access from both Word (version 7) and WP (version 6.1). Excel isn't too bad, though.

If I remember correctly, pulling such a document down to a PC will require numerous ODBC calls as the routine which does the data fetch (sorry, don't have my ODBC reference handy) fetches only 255 bytes at a time.

What we do in our patient information system for storing physicians' dictation is use WP for Unix on our Oracle server and just store info about the documents (filename, path, transcriptionist ID, etc.) in the database. Performance takes a hit, though, due to the WP sessions.

Good luck.