Multiple Forms (OPEN_FORM vs. CALL_FORM)

From: Gronwald <gronwald_at_aol.com>
Date: 1997/01/23

[Quoted] Let's say a user is entering in data in Form A and NOT all required fields have been filled in, then the user wants to open Form B and add a new lookup code to use when returning to Form A. They save their change in Form B. What is supposed to happen to Form A if we used a CALL_FORM or, if we used an OPEN_FORM? Since not all the required fields have been filled in in Form A, won't the save fail?

[Quoted] I have read the manuals and done some testing. For the most part, a CALL_FORM seems to work fine, but the manuals state in black and white that a post will perform 'default' validation on all open forms! So, doesn't that mean Form A would fail validation and the save would fail? It doesn't in OUR tests.

[Quoted] And what about OPEN_FORM? I must admit we haven't used OPEN_FORM much, but we may need to use it a lot more in the very near future. Has anyone effectively used OPEN_FORM in a multi-form application??? The manuals say that this is the 'recommended' way to 'open' forms, but this seems to open another can of worms...

[Quoted] Any comments on this would be great! Thanks in advance,

Dan Gronwald
Almedica Technology Group, Inc.
Parsippany, NJ
dgronwald_at_almedica.com Received on Thu Jan 23 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message