Re: Forms automatic recovery from db failure

From: Steve Cosner <stevec_at_zimmer.csufresno.edu>
Date: 1997/01/16

In article <19970114123000.HAA03063_at_ladder01.news.aol.com>, BEtter5150 <better5150_at_aol.com> wrote:
> I have a form (Forms 4.5 NT4.0) that must run continuously very VERY
> LONG periods of time with no user intervention. I am having a fair
> amount of success. NT4.0 takes care of network failures and I have
> set up ON-ERROR and WHEN-TIMER-EXPIRED triggers to handle Oracle if
> it goes down. (Please email me for more info). My problem is this:
> How can I, a lowly programmer with no dba rights, simulate an Oracle
> failure without going into the computer room and pooring water over
> the RS6000 server? ;) I tried a button that issues the LOGOUT
> built-in, but I'm afraid this won't cover everything.

How about running the form on a PC with Personal Oracle 7 as the database? You could shut down the database while the form is still running, and see what happens. If you have your triggers and timers set up correctly, once you re-started the database, the form could automatically logon again.

HTH,
Steve Cosner Received on Thu Jan 16 1997 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message