Re: HELP: ODBC and VB is driving me crazy...

From: Michael Carmack <mcarmack_at_freenet.columbus.oh.us>
Date: 1997/01/07

Manuel Dias (mdias_at_idite-minho.pt) wrote:
: First Question:
: I'm working with ODBC to connect to a
: database in oracle and I’ve attached tables
: from this database using Visual Basic 4.0 (16 bit).
: When I try to update or delete fields
: from this table, i get error message:
: ‘Object or database not updatable’

: and my database has access for read and write!
: What should I do ?

One of the stupid requirements for using the Jet database engine on remote SQL databases is that, for inserts and updates, the table *must* have a unique key. You have no choice. So simply define a unique key on your tables that need to be updated and your problem will go away.

: Second Question:
: I want to access a text file throughout ODBC in Visual Basic 4.0. I
: added a control data : in my form, and in connect property, I wrote:
: "ODBC;DSN=MyTextFile;"

Hmm, I wasn't even aware that ODBC was supposed to be able to do this. I cannot help you on this one.

"Villains, I say to you now:       |   Mike Carmack
 KNOCK OFF ALL THAT EVIL!"         |   Vulcan Dragon -==(UDIC)==-
    S P O O N !!!!    - The Tick   |   mcarmack_at_freenet.columbus.oh.us