Oracle Power Objects 2.0: Professional v. Client/Server

From: Howard Thompson <hthompso_at_pcc.edu>
Date: 1996/12/18

[Quoted] I've just been reviewing the Oracle blurbs on Oracle Power Objects version 2.0. I have a couple of questions:

  o What is the difference (besides $1200) between the Professional Edition     and the Client/Server Edition.

    I see that the Client/Server edition includes an "Oracle Lite" data base     whereas the Professional Edition uses "Blaze".

  o Can the Professional Edition be used to access an Oracle7 data base     on a separate machine (i.e. over SQL*Net)?

    I would have thought so, but I had heard that this is not the case.

Our core business systems are based on Oracle7 on an HP-UX platform. If we can use Oracle Power Objects Professional Edition to work with these (or new) databases so much the better. I'm not up for spending $1,500 for it though.

What do you all know about the differences.

Thanks, awfully.

* Howard Thompson hthompso_at_pcc.edu | Albertson College of Idaho *
* Systems Development Manager | NAIA Division 2 Men's Basketball *
* Portland Community College | National Champions! *
* SY CC 224 (503) 977-4551 | *