Re: Oracle Client Tools (16-bit, 32-bit, and NT versions) running under NT

From: Martin Smith <mfsmith_at_erols.com>
Date: 1996/12/11

Quick answer based on WIN95 experience--

For 32-bit applications, you need SQL*Net for WIN95/NT, which is installed in the ORAWIN95 directory by default. For ODBC apps (like Access 7.0), you also need to install the 32-bit ODBC drivers--available from www.oracle.com.

For 16-bit apps (aka "Windows" versions of the Oracle tools, and 3rd-party stuff from Cognos), you need 16-bit SQL*Net, which installs by default in ORAWIN. BTW--you might think that the two versions would get confused on the same machine because of conflicting info in \windows\ora.ini (name right?), but not so: apparently the 32-bit stuff uses the registry, and only the 16-bit stuff uses the .ini file. You'll need the 16-bit ODBC stuff for 3rd-party apps that uses ODBC. Also on www.oracle.com.

You also need the appropriate TNSNAMES files, of course, and the formats seem to be slightly different.

You also need to have C:\ORAWIN and/or c:\ORAWIN95 in the path. (oracle says some 3rd-party stuff aslo ned an environment variable set to the Oracle home.)

I have both setups on my WIN95 machine with no problems, running Impromptu (16-bit), Access and Data Browser (32-bit).

Assuming you're installing from a Discoverer or Developer 2000 CD, you crank up setup.exe (sometimes they autorun) and select the components you need: SQL*Net 2.x, an appropriate protocol adapter, plus any application you are going to use like Browser or Forms. The Oracle installer (usually) selects the appropriate supporting files itself (a few 10s of megs!). For a client to use JUST an ODBC app (like Acccess), you ONLY need Sql*Net and the appropriate protocol adapter. (BTW--there are a couple of interesting-looking "ODBC" pieces on the CD's, but they are NOT THE RIGHT STUFF. They are for linking the Oracle clients to OTHER PEOPLE's databases.) Get the ODBC piece for an Oracle DB from www.oracle.com or elsewhere.

Hope this is responsive and not too elementary ...