Re: Forms4.5 Trigger when entering a character in a new record

From: Alex Heney <heneya_at_entcf3.agw.co.bt.uk>
Date: 1996/12/09

Volker Hauswurz wrote:

<snip>

> I would like to know if there is a trigger which fires when you enter a new
> character in a field of a new record.
> Create-record and When-New-Record-Instance already fire when you navigate to a
> new record in the detail block.
> If you update a queried record the ON_LOCK trigger fires. So we search for a
> way to handle the situation when you enter the first character in a new record.
> Does anyone know a solution?
>
> Thanks
> Volker

It is simply not possible to do as you wish. There is at present NO way in Forms to detect when the user starts typing into a field, unless that field is in a block for an existing record, and is either a base-table item, or has 'Lock-Record' defined as TRUE, when the ON-LOCK trigger may be used (the first time only for any record!). I have been told that Oracle are planning to provide a trigger (probably ON-CHANGE) which will fire at item level when the user starts typing, but I don't know when (will NOT be available at FORMS 5.0).

--
The above posting represents the personal opinions of the author and
is not to be taken as official (or unofficial) policy or opinions of

Alex Heney, Living in the Global Village.