Re: Developer/2k install screwed up my setup!

From: Jacqui Caren <Jacqui.Caren_at_ig.co.uk>
Date: 1996/11/21

In article comp.databases.oracle.tools:<328771FF.70AD_at_srfs.pitt.edu>, John Duska <duska_at_srfs.pitt.edu> writes:
>I had Oracle 7.3 installed and working on a Netware server. Then I
>installed Developer 2000. Now I can't even connect to the server using
>SQL+ or even the ODBC test. In fact, I can't even ping the server using
>TNSPing anymore. What happened?
>thanks,
>John
> John M. Duska | Senior Systems Analyst
> mailto:duska_at_srfs.pitt.edu | Information Resources
> http://www.pitt.edu/~pauj4m | University of Pittsburgh

This is (PROBABLY) because DEV2K uses an older (incompatible) version of installer than 7,3.2... At least the last version of D2k I last installed stated

        Developer/200o for Oracle 7.1.6.

When I tried to install it under the same OFA as 7.3.2 I got a nice warning about "do you really want to do this?" and said YES... :-( Never again.

Because of this you lose lots of little bits of 7.3.2 and some components are downgraded, and so no longer work...

It does not tell you it will screw your database up but then I normally take any warnings oracle installer gives me very very seriously. :-(

Anyway I found out that D2K for 716 does not install WITH 732 - I did install it under a seperate ORACLE_BASE though, using a software install of 716. Customer lost a bit more disk space but got everything working...

You did take a backup before installing D2K? :-)

Jacqui

--
Jacqui Caren, Software Systems, Paul Ingram Group Ltd. J.Caren_at_ig.co.uk
Commercial perl resources - support,training,products etc