Re: SQL*Net2 and s..l..o..w.. access times

From: Teijo Doornkamp <doornkampt_at_vertis.nl>
Date: 1996/11/05

Noah B. Hart wrote:

> Has anyone else experienced a very slow connect time between a
> PC client and server using SQL*NET 2?
>
> I have a P133 (40M) client, and an AXP300 server. I get EXCELLENT
> connection and performance with all packages, except when initiating
> a new database connection.
> I have experienced your problem. Try adding the following entry in the
host-file on the PC:

127.0.0.1 winpc # IP internal loopback address

What we experienced is this: Oracle tries to find the IP-adress for the PC itself by asking the adress named 'winpc'. The hosts-file is checked first (no hit), then our DNS-server will be checked (no hit). Next broadcast a message on the network (no hit, will take about 30-60 seconds). No hits, just continue. Connection worked just fine after that.

We solved the problem by using a network sniffer and seeing a 30-60 sec delay every time at the same point. A 32 bits version of SQL*Plus didn't have the problem.

Problem was solved by adding winpc in the hosts-file or by adding the adress for winpc in our DNS-server. Response came down from 30-60 secs to 1-2 secs.

Good luck.

If this doesn't work, try to set this value in sqlnet.ora

trace_level_client = 16

This will give you a VERY BIG file containing all details regarding the SQL*Net interface.

Teijo Doornkamp Received on Tue Nov 05 1996 - 00:00:00 CET

Original text of this message