Re: SQL-92 Compliant

From: Jim Smith <jim_at_jimsmith.demon.co.uk>
Date: 1996/10/25

In article <32704E2E.494F_at_earthlink.net>, Les Gainous <lesgainous_at_earthlink.net> writes
>Being new to Oracle, I need to know something:
>
>How compliant is Oracle7 with the SQL-92 standards? Can I get a white
>paper on this from Oracle or somewhere? I don't think 7.1 supports the
>"join" and "left/right outer join" keywords (I have a lot of code that
>using this in a MS SQL Server environment). Does 7.3 support this
>syntax? What other syntax is (is not) supported?
>
>Thanks in advance!

Oracle is 'Entry-level' compliant with SQL-92. As far as I know, none of the major database vendors has yet reached the next level of compliance ('Intermediate'),

There is an appendix in the "Oracle 7 Server SQL Reference Manual" which describes Oracle's standards compliance.

As far the keywords you mention, they are not supported,although the functionality is.

[Quoted] "table1 JOIN table2 ON" is just an alternative (and IMO less readable) way of saying "table1, table2 where ". A lot of the changes in SQL-92 seem to be making the language more obscure and taking it further away from the original concept of 'Structured English Query Language'

[Quoted] To specify an outer join add '(+)' to the columns in the where clause.

select ename,dept.dname
from emp, dept
where emp.dname(+) = dept.dname

will give you empleoyees and all departments even if there are no employees. This is a LEFT OUTER JOIN (I think)

--
Jim Smith