Re: What a joke...

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2019 22:01:16 -0700 (PDT)

On Thursday, 22 August 2019 09:08:21 UTC+10, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> As for this group, it has been dead for a very long time. Oracle list is
> also slowly dying, no traffic there, either. The main enforcer of
> political correctness on oracle-l has retired, or so I was told.

God only knows. I gave up on that one quite a few years ago. It was getting beyond the joke!

> reason why this group and oracle-l both are no longer useful is rather
> complex and can be attributed to Oracle Corp. in its entirety.

Bingo!

> - Information is doled out in a very controlled manner, documentation
> quality is horrendous. The documentation is unreadable. I used to read
> the DBA guide for each new version from cover to cover. The last version
> that it was possible to do so was 8i. There was definite break with
> tradition at the time of 9i. That was also the time Cary Millsap has
> left Oracle. Now, if you want really useful information you have to
> pay for "Oracle Master" class and certification. It ain't cheap.

Exactly. And don't get me started on the horrendous bugs in 12.2 that require heaps of patches to get it to handle very basic workloads...

> - Market is flooded with "oracle certified persons" and "oracle certified
> administrators". That brings the price down. When the price goes down,
> interest drops, as well as the quality of the people practicing the
> trade.

The whole "certification" nonsense started the downhill of Oracle.

> Basically, job of an Oracle DBA is no longer glamorous or particularly
> appreciated one. That means that the quality of the DBA personnel has
> dropped significantly. That is a self-reinforcing process which continues
> until this day. The newly minted DBA personnel is mostly young and
> unaffected by the IT sub-culture of the 20th century.

Don't get me started on the "autonomous databases that need no DBA"... :)

> have recently encountered a Java programmer who has asked me "what is
> Slashdot". With folks like that, there is no future for Usenet.

To me all of Java needs a lot of napalm in the morning...

> I love the smell of napalm in the morning!
> (Appocalypse Now)

Same here! :) Received on Thu Aug 22 2019 - 07:01:16 CEST

Original text of this message