Re: How to increase the CPU cores allowed for Parallel processing

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2017 01:55:59 -0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 31 Aug 2017 18:44:05 -0700, dostertag wrote:

+AD4 We have a Linux server with 48 CPUs running Oracle 12EE, but we have a
+AD4 licensed agreement only to use 8 cores in parallel processing.
+AD4
+AD4 Does anyone know where this limit is set within the database? Is it a
+AD4 parameter or is it kept in a configuration file of some sort? We'd like
+AD4 to do temporary testing with more cores with the idea of increasing our
+AD4 licensed limit if testing proves worth it, but we don't know where to
+AD4 make the parameter/config change. We are told though that it is a
+AD4 setting and it can be modified.
+AD4
+AD4 Does anyone know how to change this?

The parameter is CPU+AF8-CONT, which can be modified by ALTER SYSTEM. Have you checked the online documentation? There is nothing preventing you from using Oracle on more than 4 CPU cores, but if Oracle audits you, they will charge you for the difference. My advice would be to include Oracle rep from the beginning.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer