Re: The black box approach

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2016 18:39:22 +1100

On 26/12/2016 12:59 _at_wiz, Mladen Gogala wrote:

> Hi Noons,
> I am mostly having fun. Here is my post from today:
>
> On 12/25/2016 12:43 AM, Tim Gorman wrote:

Oh boy, talk about Oakies"... :)
Never seen that one write anything technical that didn't involve calling anyone non-Oakie as a "bad dba". Apparently the only "good dbas" are the Oakies, even though the vast majority of them never had to be responsible and run a production site day after day for years and live with the consequences of their decisions. It's always hit-and-run con-sultancy with those...

>> Actually, the least you could do is explain them correctly.
>>
>> You started off OK in describing the Oracle in-memory implementation as
> a column store, which is easy enough since it is. And you should have
> stopped there.
>>
>> Instead, you veered into the weeds with an odd analogy to bitmap
>> indexes, which indicates either unfamiliarity with in-memory column
>> stores, or with bitmap indexes, or both. There is nothing to suggest
>> the method, the manner, the usage, or the impact of bitmap indexes in
>> any in-memory column store implementation.
>>
> Actually, I didn't come up with that analogy. The credit goes to another
> Oracle ACE, soon to be retired:
>
> https://jonathanlewis.wordpress.com/2013/11/06/12c-in-memory/

Oooops....
you "bad dba", you...
:)))

> With the in-memory columnar copy you should be able to drop many “DSS
> indexes”, thus improving OLTP response times – in effect the in-memory
> stuff behaves a bit like non-persistent bitmap indexing.
>
> I can see that you disagree with such a description, but I cannot claim
> the authorship. I am glad you recognized that as a falsehood from a mile
> away and I am sure you will be able to correct the author.

or send them a kevlar flame suit!
(I better not go there given I've been accused of "physically threatening" his lady even though I haven't been in the US since the mid-80s and never met her or him.
Ah well, the mind boggles at so much technical "knowledge" and "ability".