Re: ddl replication

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 2016 08:49:58 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 7:30:22 AM UTC-8, geos wrote:
> On 09.02.2016 15:08, ddf wrote:
> > On Tuesday, February 9, 2016 at 5:54:45 AM UTC-7, geos wrote:
> >> I started to dig the subject of replication in Oracle, specifically DDL
> >> replication for object from specific schemas. From what I could figure
> >> out so far it looks like "normally" Oracle GoldenGate can be used to do
> >> this.
> >>
> >> Are there other non-GoldenGate approaches that can do the job? I started
> >> thinking about DDL triggers. Does it make any sense or maybe I should
> >> focus on some other way to acomplish ddl replication without GoldenGate?
> >>
> >> I would appreciate your opinion and advice.
> >>
> >> thank you,
> >> geos
> >
> > You need to define what YOU mean by 'DDL replication' -- is this local to the database server and executed between schemas or is this between database servers? How you answer that question makes a huge difference in the answer you receive.
>
> Good point. Initially I thought about two different instances but it
> looks to me like it could also be between two schemas within one
> instance, like from PROD to PROD_REP. Definitely it will be one-way. I
> would like to replicate any change in the schema objects like adding new
> column to a table, dropping a table, creating view, sequence etc.
>
> I would appreciate your advice for both scenarios so that I could think
> about it.
>
> thank you,
> geos

One way is to always do it with scripts, which are maintained in a source code control repository. Because you do development separately, so development is always going to be ahead of prod. And some things won't make it. And some things will need to be undone. Right?

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.net-security.org/secworld.php?id=19420&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+HelpNetSecurity+%28Help+Net+Security%29