Re: I hate to say this, but...

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jan 2015 11:48:03 +0000 (UTC)

On Sat, 03 Jan 2015 20:13:59 +1100, Noons wrote:

> ...I told you so, YEARS AGO!
>
> http://www.insidermonkey.com/blog/oracle-corporation-orcl-may-sell-
hardware-business-to-dell-says-patrick-moorhead-337199/

> The "database machine" market was proven beyond any doubt to be a dead,
> non-profitable end. Many decades ago, by the Britton-Lee folks.
> Who then learned the lesson and founded Sybase.

I thought that Larry would have learned that lesson from Teradata which didn't go anywhere past the boutique DW status. It's not necessary to be a genius to figure out that Exadata is too expensive to be a success. Oracle has a real problem with prices and they have simply become too expensive.

> Unfortunately, Oracle Corp marketing and planning is full of MORONS who
> know NOTHING about the past of IT and continue to REFUSE to LISTEN to
> customers.

That is why I keep comparing Oracle and DEC. DEC has also had phenomenal engineering and good products, with morons in the marketing department. As a matter of fact, VMS was far superior to any Unix. That, in the end, did not save DEC. The beginning of the end for DEC came with the new licensing scheme for VMS 5.0, which was a plain highway robbery. If that sounds reminiscent of some other software products, it's not my fault.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer