Re: Purchase of the multi-tenant option

From: Peter Schneider <pschneider1968_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2014 12:00:29 +0100

Am 21.12.2014 19:18, schrieb Mladen Gogala:
> What would be the business case for buying the multi-tenant option? Any
> savings in resources would be more than offset by the licensing costs.
> The whole reason for introducing pluggable databases is saving the memory
> and CPU power needed for separate instances. How much resources would I
> have to save to justify $10K/CPU thread to my boss? If I use modern AMD
> 8-core processors, it is $80K/CPU. Eighty thousand dollars can buy me a
> lot of PC equipment and saving 32GB of RAM and 10% of CPU power doesn't
> even begin to justify the purchase of the multi-tenant option.
> Did I misunderestimate Oracle's argument? Is there anything except
> saving resources that is achieved by using PDBs?

Perhaps hosting or "cloud" companies hosting DB environments for their customers?

The technology is interesting, but I don't quite see the point of it, either.

Gruß
Peter

--
Climb the mountain not to plant your flag, but to embrace the challenge,
enjoy the air and behold the view. Climb it so you can see the world,