Re: Best way to restore database back to previous point in time

From: Max Powers <patrick.gunia_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2014 08:18:41 -0700 (PDT)

After working with flashback for a couple of days, here are my findings. In the beginning, guaranteed restore points seem to be, what I´ve been looking for. After returning to office this morning I saw some major drawbacks (which might come from wrong configuration settings...). When I opened my database machine the system totally hung, I could hardly do anything. So I started searching for the reason for that and found, that the 50G I gave to the recovery area weren´t enough as it wrote tons of archivelogs to that partition. So I started reading and found that the resaon for this "blocking" behaviour was the fact that Oracle wanted to "guarantee" that it is able to restore to the named restore points. This makes sense regarding the use-case I first thought about when reading about restore points, but it doesn´t fit my application as it might be possible that I create a restore point now and want to restore it in a couple of months. If I look at the huge amount of data the system created in two days I either configured it wrong or flashback with recovery might not be the right solution for me...does anyone have a suggestion, what might be wrong? I simply configured the system using a recovery area and created 3 guaranteed restore points with different records loaded into the database. Received on Mon Mar 24 2014 - 16:18:41 CET

Original text of this message