Re: oracle 11g: how to disabled triggers per session

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 4 Feb 2014 15:04:27 -0800 (PST)

On Tuesday, February 4, 2014 1:48:39 PM UTC-8, rgr..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> W dniu wtorek, 4 lutego 2014 17:10:43 UTC+1 użytkownik Mladen Gogala napisał:
>

> why magic ? why there is no ? there is -> dbms_xstream_gg.set_foo_trigger_session_contxt but not in Standard Edition
>
> I would like to disable because in specyfic sytuations before delete a part of related data from database I generate script which can back this operation after commit (for example in case of user mistake) and in this case the triggers can disturb same data...
>

> 'Triggers are used to enforce business rules' - not only... are you writing about audit ?
>
> 'Is it legal?' - why not ? what is inlegal in disable trigger ????????
>

> Regards

It is magic because it is undocumented, and only in there to support an expensive product called Golden Gate, and doesn't work in some versions: http://www.pythian.com/blog/disabling-triggers-per-session/

It becomes illegal when the triggers are there to enforce business rules based on laws. For example, if your boss tells you to disable a trigger that audits US securities transactions, and you do it, and he steals money, you can go to jail.

If your requirements are too hard, hire somebody else. If you need Enterprise Edition, get Enterprise Edition. If you want to use undocumented features, You Are On Your Own.

If you are legitimately doing something that requires users not be on, don't let users be on. If you are trying to fix user error, consider logical backup, covering all tables impacted.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.informationweek.com/strategic-cio/digital-business/oracles-hurd-a-once-in-a-career-opportunity/d/d-id/1113622