Re: Connect to Oracle 11g using PL-SQL developer and SQL PLus

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 17:37:17 +0000 (UTC)

On Wed, 16 Oct 2013 23:29:07 -0700, Amir Diwan wrote:

> _at_David: After Run-> Services.msc -> Office Source Engine, Office
Software Protection Platform and Offline files are the only entries I have with the letter O.

> I dont have any entry with OracleServiceXXXX.
>
> How do I create an entry for OracleServiceXXXX on Windows 7?
>
> Thanks, for your help and seems like I am approaching near my goal.

There are 3 steps:

  1. Use oradim.exe to create services. There are several.
  2. Download the latest version of CentOS, currently CentOS 6.4 and put the ISO on a USB stick.
  3. Boot from the USB stick and select "format drive" option.
  4. Install CentOS 6.4, turn off securelinux and firewall, adjust the /etc/sysctl.conf file according to the instructions in the Oracle installation manual and install Oracle. You can use OpenSuSE to install Oracle 12c but not Fedora 19. Oracle 11.2.0.4 works well on F19 but not Oracle 12c.
  5. Make sure that you set the instance you just created to autostart by putting "Y" in the appropriate field of /etc/oratab
  6. Create autostart/stop script in /etc/init.d, you can call it "oracle" the script should contain something like the following: export ORACLE_HOME=/app/oracle/product/11.2.0/dbhome_1 su - oracle -c "$ORACLE_HOME/bin/dbstart $ORACLE_HOME"
  7. Execute "chkconfig --add oracle" and then use the chkconfig to enable it for the boot level 3 or 5. Boot level 3 doesn't start X11, which is OK for a DB server.

Voila, Oracle is installed on the server and will start automatically. Even more, the virus from Redmond, WA is thoroughly wiped out and will no longer bother you with virus problems.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer