Re: oracle 12c memory option

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2013 18:11:48 +0000 (UTC)

On Thu, 10 Oct 2013 08:47:03 -0700, joel garry wrote:

> Those are all good questions. Somewhere (I think on the forums)
> Jonathan mentioned the tables are redundant views of real tables, so
> don't need all the redo and undo overhead, or something like that. Oh,
> here it is: https://forums.oracle.com/thread/2589478
>
> jg

Oracle was last to the table with this "memory option". If you read the following description, you will see that the idea of an in-memory copy organized as columnar store slightly predates the "memory option":

http://www-01.ibm.com/software/data/db2/linux-unix-windows/db2-blu-acceleration/

Since Oracle did not have columnar store at the time, they compare the "BLU acceleration" with the Exadata and its hybrid columnar compression. According to the IBM material, the blue racer is faster than Exadata. As a matter of fact, it's the fastest serpent in the world.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer