Re: Virtual Databases

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 19 May 2013 04:53:21 +0000 (UTC)

On Fri, 17 May 2013 11:01:09 +0100, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> "Mladen Gogala" <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com> wrote in message

> Taking a simplistic view-point,
> a virtual network is a self-contained environment that emulates a
> network by using a portion of the resources made available by a real
> network
> a virtual machine is a self-contained environment that emulates a
> machine by using a portion of the resources made available by a real
> machine hence
> a virtual database is a self-contained environment that emulates a
> database by using a portion of the resources made available by a real
> database

Jonathan, what would that look like from the implementation perspective? As far as I know, it not possible to do that with current versions of Oracle. What would you do if someone asked you to create 3 virtual datbases using database PROD, for some reason a strangely popular name for databases? Would you buy Delphix? I have to admit that I would ask for the desired color of those 3 virtual databases and hope that the answer would be "mauve".

> You might want to reconsider your use of the terms database and
> instance, by the way. Generally people pay a licence to run the software
> on a machine and you can have as many databases and instances on a
> machine as you like: so every instance after the first one is free, as
> is every database after the first database. Of course, they can't be
> called "virtual" because they would be using the full resources required
> for a database or instance.

I'm still not so sure about it. With EE, the customer gets the right to install a copy of the software on another box and create a physical standby database, which would seem to contradict yor statement.

--
Mladen Gogala
The Oracle Whisperer