Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

From: BGB <cr88192_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 12:40:18 -0600

On 1/26/2013 5:25 AM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
> On 01/26/2013 01:31 AM, BGB wrote:

>>> You copy jar files in Java EE just like you do in Java SE.
>>>
>>> The difference is in what the libraries do. Not how they are
>>> distributed.
>>>

>> yes, ok.

>>> They are not.
>>>
>>> CORBA is a component model that uses IIOP as network protocol.
>>>
>>> DCOM is a component model that uses ncacn_tcp as network protocol.
>>>

>> fair enough...
>>
>> I haven't really used either of them personally, FWIW.
>>
>> I will assume then that they are probably for inter-operation with other
>> servers or similar?
> [ SNIP ]
>
> Both CORBA and DCOM are meant for distributed applications. Like Arne
> said, both have to do with software components on numerous different
> machines, possibly different languages, and having defined interfaces
> for RPC. Myself I wouldn't even use the term "server" to explain what
> DCOM and CORBA do, not at a high level.

if it is on a different machine, and is providing something for being accessed over a network, wouldn't that machine be by definition a server?

> [ SNIP ]
>>>
>>> Let me give you a very simple example.
>>>
>>> You want to allow browsers to connect to your code and be
>>> told what the time is.
>>>
>>> You could write that in Java SE. You listen on port 80, accept
>>> a connection, start a thread that parse the request and outout
>>> the response.
>>>
>>> With Java EE you could write now.jsp:
>>>
>>> <%=new Date()%>
>>>
>>> and Java EE would handle sockets, threads, reading and writing for
>>> you.
>>>
>>> The JSP get compiled to Java that get compiled to byte code that
>>> get JIT compiled.
>>>

>> ok, so it does something sort of like a web-server then, but with Java
>> taking the role of PHP or similar?
>>
>> I guess maybe that has to do with the whole "application server" thing,
>> which was another part I didn't really understand what it was doing
>> exactly...
> [ SNIP ]
>
> Don't make the mistake of thinking that Java EE == web application.
> Although I expect that a lot of Java coders who write only web apps in
> the Java EE space may get to thinking that way.
>
> Your typical Java EE enterprise app running on top of a Java EE
> application server may or may not have a web tier. Just like servers
> written in other languages on other platforms may often also have
> nothing whatsoever to do with HTTP and HTML and web browsers.
>
> But I suppose if you look at the numbers of Java EE app deployments,
> I'll speculate that the very large majority are web apps or at least
> incorporate one.

ok, but all this is still a bit outside my area.

> Since you mentioned PHP, and Arne mentioned JSP, you're aware that you
> might run a PHP app on Apache with mod_php. Think of that latter as
> being your app server. Similarly, if you want to run an ASP.NET MVC app,
> you might set up an IIS website for it - IIS is your app server. In the
> case of Java EE web apps using JSP as a view technology (with or without
> JSF in the picture) then a Java EE server is your application/web server.

I think I may have enabled mod_php, partly as IIRC the MediaWiki installation instructions said to do something like this (along with which things to install, ...).

I have not personally messed with IIS or ASP.NET.

the vast majority of code I have written in C# has been either small tools (command-line or sometimes with a GUI), or Paint.NET plugins. Received on Sat Jan 26 2013 - 19:40:18 CET

Original text of this message