Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

From: Arved Sandstrom <asandstrom2_at_eastlink.ca>
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2013 21:34:52 -0400

On 01/26/2013 02:40 PM, BGB wrote:
> On 1/26/2013 5:25 AM, Arved Sandstrom wrote:
[ SNIP ]

>> Both CORBA and DCOM are meant for distributed applications. Like Arne
>> said, both have to do with software components on numerous different
>> machines, possibly different languages, and having defined interfaces
>> for RPC. Myself I wouldn't even use the term "server" to explain what
>> DCOM and CORBA do, not at a high level.
>>

> if it is on a different machine, and is providing something for being
> accessed over a network, wouldn't that machine be by definition a server?

The terms "client" and "server" are common in discussions of CORBA, yes. Strictly speaking what you've really got for any given local/remote method invocation in a CORBA distributed system is an object that receives the request, and a caller (client) that invokes the method on the receiving implementation entity - the real server is an Object Request Broker (ORB). Myself when doing CORBA I prefer to refer to things as client, servant, ORB etc, and not use the term "server". YMMV.

AHS Received on Sun Jan 27 2013 - 02:34:52 CET

Original text of this message