Re: The Revenge of the Geeks

From: BGB <cr88192_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2013 21:10:37 -0600

On 1/24/2013 4:58 PM, Arne Vajhøj wrote:
> On 1/24/2013 5:10 PM, BGB wrote:
>>>
>>> In the EE space you would need to look at CORBA or DCOM.
>>>
>>> You would prefer Java EE believe me.
>>>
>>> :-)
>>>

>> errm, so you can't just copy all the files over to ones' servers? and/or
>> recompile the code for ones' servers?...
>
> The coding model in Java EE is definitely more modern than that
> of CORBA and DCOM.

I didn't mean like CORBA or DCOM, but probably directly copying over program binaries (DLLs or SOs and precompiled binaries and similar), and probably using traditional compilation and linking.

or if you mean like network communication?...

>> granted, dunno much about business systems, but I was under the
>> understanding that most were some combination of:
>>
>> rack mounts running Linux, typically with x86 CPUs, and with Gigabit
>> Ethernet or 10GbE or similar linking them all together.
>>
>> one or more server computers in a desktop-like form factor, sometimes
>> with multi-CPU boards, Xeon or Opteron chips, and craploads of RAM
>> installed, and sometimes also in a LAN. AFAIK, Linux is also popular
>> here. (though I guess Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows Server,
>> also make an appearance).
>>
>> something more strange, like IBM mainframes or similar, where everyone
>> uses them via funky multi colored textual interfaces inside of a
>> terminal emulator, ... pretty much everything I have read about them
>> sounds strange.
>
> Java EE run on servers for production usage.
>
> But all types of OS and hardware.
>
> Linux is the most popular OS, but Windows, various Unix and
> mainframe are still seen.

fair enough.

>> as for data sharing (between lots of networked servers), I am less sure,
>> I would think maybe something like NFS or SAMBA, but then thinking of
>> it, NFS or Samba might not scale well if the number of servers becomes
>> sufficiently large (like, people would probably want to locally cache
>> files, rather than always doing IO over the network, ...).
>
> Persistent data in the the Java EE world is most often in database.

well, I meant for code and other resources.

or, to you mean putting code in the database as well?...

(like, put the JAR in a data-blob and fetch it out via a SELECT or something?...).

>> otherwise, not entirely sure why developing for these would be all that
>> much different than dealing with a normal PC or Linux box.
>
> It is not the type of box that makes a difference.
>
> You can run a Java EE app server on your laptop.
>
> You laptop does just not have the IO system and the 24x7
> reliability to run in most production contexts.
>
> The difference in development is the services provided by the
> server that the application can utilize if the application follows
> the rules.

I have a web-server I am running on an old laptop, it uses Windows XP, Apache, and also has PHP, MySQL, and MediaWiki...