Re: anyone else have anything blow up from 2013?

From: John Hurley <johnthehurley_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2013 09:25:27 -0800 (PST)

Mark:

# John, it has been years since I worked on a COBOL program and I do not remember COBOL having a native date data type.

Yup ... correct ... always has to work on this string as a CHAR string ... usually 8 ... sometimes 6 ...

Converting back and forth using views ( TO_CHAR coming out and instead of triggers on way back in doing TO_DATE ).

Problem ... guess I should have written it more carefully ... application treating 6 character string as YYYYMM.

Views/triggers in Oracle land converting back and forth as RRMMDD ...

Never had a problem until last 2 digits of four digit year ( 2013 ) became 13 aka as of Jan 1 2013.

Should not have been a DATE column in oracle ... oracle can default good enough without using the time component ... but you want to use a DATE column and you don't care about which day?

# It would seem that your issue is really a conversion logic issue rather than an Oracle or COBOL issue.

Yup see above ... changing from DATE to CHAR(6) ... Received on Tue Jan 15 2013 - 18:25:27 CET

Original text of this message