Re: Nasty backup bug

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 08:47:35 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 12, 8:29 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

> Another general question for the Oracle community is why backups always
> fail on weekends? I really don't appreciate being called from the office
> on weekends. Am I just plain unlucky or the others have experienced that
> failure propensity on weekends? Fortunately, this was not during the
> night hours, but the night is still young....Whoever that Murphy guy was,
> I'd wring his neck if he was around just now.

If Murphy was involved, your backup would fail silently, random archived logs would disappear, redo would be corrupted, then you'd be expected to recover in a very public manner.

One thing I have seen about weekends, utility workers think no one is working, so cut phone lines and power, not always in a planned manner.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2013/01/14/why-att-isnt-a-tech-company.aspx