Re: Converting fields from Double to String while writing a table view

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2012 16:39:00 -0800 (PST)

On Nov 15, 3:39 pm, Matt Whitman <mgwhit..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Good Afternoon,
>
> I am in the process of transitioning from working in Access to PL/SQL.  I am writing a series of table views and have the need to convert a field from a double to a string directly in the table view using SQL.  This is needed to join the field with a spatial database that I am working with.  Does anyone have any advice as to the best practice data type conversation.  I have tried using the Char function but was unsuccessful and I'm not confident that is the best practice.  Any advice or examples would be appreciated
>
> Regards,
>
> -MGW
Oracle attempts to be a relational database. So, it doesn't generally have fields, it has columns. PL/SQL is a procedural language, SQL is a set oriented non-procedural language. I'm wondering if you are using the same definition of view that oracle uses.

Use whatever data type that the spatial database uses, don't depend on implicit data conversions, even explicit conversions can force you to jump through hoops to, say, use a function based index, when otherwise you could have used a normal index.

Perhaps if you give us simple table and view definitions, some sample data loading (all in a script that someone can execute), and what you've tried, we can get on the same page and help you better.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Why_does_the_porridge_bird_lay_his_eggs_in_the_air