Re: Large pages

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 00:24:26 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 11 Nov 2012 21:51:43 +0000, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> Not used it for Windows - but I wonder how relevant (or not) it might be
> when compared to the Unix variant. The commonly stated problem relates
> to the size of the memory map - along the lines of having an 8 byte
> pointer for an 8KB page.
>
> In Unix (unless you use intimate shared memory) you get one map per
> process - so an Oracle system with 1,000 processes would end up using as
> much memory for maps of the SGA as it would on the SGA itself if it were
> using standard pages. In Windows Oracle runs as a single process with
> multiple threads - does this mean it needs only one map with the result
> that standard pages don't present the same memory threat ?

Yup, that's precisely why I ask. Windows do not have SYSVR4 IPC mechanisms, probably because they do not belong to that family of operating systems, and have completely different architecture. I played with that once, but I no longer have access to the database I have built, so I am asking around.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com