Re: dbms_scheduler.create_file_watcher

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2012 08:47:54 -0700 (PDT)

On Oct 18, 12:46 am, "Jonathan Lewis" <jonat..._at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> I don't have an answer to the original question since I haven't looked
> closely at file watcher - but I'm always reluctant to add an external
> component to a task that looks as if it could (or should) be handled and
> synchronised internally. That's why I learned to rethink some cron jobs as
> dbms_job and then dbms_scheduler became available - fewer dependencies.

I've had more fails using dbconsole to schedule backups than I ever did with custom scripts in cron. More dependencies on stupid wheelreinvention  (TZ bugs!), more parts to break (cert expiration every 6 months!), easier to pick wrong settings.

There's something to be said for the complexity of the solution being congruent with that of the problem.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.11alive.com/news/article/261138/166/Google-stock-plummets-after-early-earnings-release