Re: Going to Open World in San Francisco? Come two day early and get no charge DB2 tech training with certification testing

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2012 08:56:19 -0700 (PDT)

On Sep 20, 6:38 am, John Hurley <johnthehur..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> cruss:
>
> # Well I felt that this post was really relevant.
>
> I for a sample size of one also feel that this post is relevant.
> Subject line states clearly what the value proposition is.
>
> As someone who in a former life spent a whole bunch of years doing IMS
> and then later some DB2 database admin ... and many of us here in cdos
> land may have similar experiences ... seems quite relevant.  This guy
> is not asking for resumes and not selling something.

Selling something that is free is still selling something. That by definition makes it irrelevant, since there is no actual technical content, merely an offer to get you into a workshop, which may or may not be a sales or "pre-sales" presentation, though posting it here sure looks explicitly like trying to drum up business. The subject line clearly states a "value proposition," as you put it. I wonder how you get that to not be "services offered," an explicit part of cdom in the charter.

From wikipedia: Big data usually includes data sets with sizes beyond the ability of commonly-used software tools to capture, manage, and process the data within a tolerable elapsed time.

So does that rule out the contents of the workshop? That's why I call bullshit. Just as I would for something actually Oracle related that didn't actually give what is advertised. The sad thing is I called it before I even looked at the contents, and was right. I would like to see someone using any kind of compatibility mode on petabytes of data.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012/sep/17/wildfire-settlement-raises-utility-cost-recovery-s/