Re: Nested Table Query

From: ddf <oratune_at_msn.com>
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 18:29:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Tuesday, September 11, 2012 9:47:07 AM UTC-6, joel garry wrote:
> On Sep 11, 8:32 am, ddf <orat..._at_msn.com> wrote:
>

> > SQL>
>
> > SQL> insert into hr_info_cpy
>
> >   2  select * from hr_info;
>

> > 1 row created.
>

> Somehow that strikes me as "considered bad practice." The order of
>
> columns, like anything else without explicit ordering, is not
>
> guaranteed. Try adding columns a and b to the first table, b and a to
>
> the second, and see if those are selected into the correct place. Any
>
> modification of either table could potentially do this.
>

> jg
>
> --
>
> _at_home.com is bogus.
>
> http://www.crn.com.au/News/315110,oracle-sues-partner-over-theft-claims.aspx

Understood. The original problem stated the source and destination tables were exactly the same in definition, down to the nested tables. Thus I took the easy way out. I do agree that is not the ideal way to solve this problem; I should get cracking and find a more holistic and general solution not based on such assumptions.

I'll take my 50 lashes with the wet noodle gracefully.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Tue Sep 11 2012 - 20:29:43 CDT

Original text of this message