Re: Hardware, Cores, Licenses

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2012 16:12:51 -0700 (PDT)

On Aug 13, 3:44 pm, Alex Busam <abu..._at_gmx.de> wrote:
> Am 13.08.2012 21:40, schrieb Alex Busam:> thanks!
> > what happens on a server which is installed on a single core and cloned
> > to a quad core? What does oracle do? Runs normal by using only one core?
> > and no other problems are there?
>
> I mean the cloning without Increase of the license. From 1 core zu 4
> core. Will it work? Only on one core?

Maybe I'm not understanding what you mean by cloned. You can duplicate a database with rman. If you mean making an image of the database and executables onto the new box, you might have issues, or not, who could say? Oracle sets cpu_count dynamically when you start up, and some other things are dependent on this (see the Oracle on windows doc). EE doesn't care about running on a limited number of cores, AFAIK.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://techcrunch.com/2012/08/10/the-friday-wtf-awards-oracle-not-the-only-one-who-deserves-calling-out/