Re: Simpana

From: scottgamble_at_comcast.net <zifnabiom_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 07:46:36 -0700 (PDT)

On Wednesday, July 11, 2012 9:00:32 AM UTC-5, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> I&#39;ve recently come across Simpana backup software which, lo and behold,
> can integrate with Oracle RMAN using libobk. Does anyone here have any
> experience with it? What are the opinions?
>

> --
> http://mgogala.freehostia.com

Have used Simpana/Commvault at 2 places.

The only complaints the backup admins had was that when we used cron for the backups Simpana did not track the status of the backups very well. They lost some visibility to what was going on. That may have been a few versions back however.

I had one issue that I never really got an answer to. When trying to do a restore from a few months back most of the backups had aged out of the system and we only had a few recent choices to restore from. We could see the backups on the tape when we browsed the tape but we could not get RMAN to find them at all. A Simpana/Commvault rep was on the phone with us and he implied that it was a bug. This was 2 years ago and possibly a few versions ago as well. The company I was with was not big on upgrading software. It is also entirely possible that was due to some nonstandard and wrong setup we had.

I had done other restores with no issues but none of them involved trying to go so far back in time. Received on Tue Jul 17 2012 - 09:46:36 CDT

Original text of this message