Re: Simpana

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2012 09:43:46 -0700 (PDT)

On Jul 16, 5:35 pm, Mladen Gogala <gogala.mla..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jul 2012 08:40:55 -0700, joel garry wrote:
> > I've crossed over to the cyber side.  I don't use tape or backup
> > managers any more.
>
> Really? How do you backup your database(s)? Tapes are still much cheaper
> and than disks.
>
> --http://mgogala.byethost5.com

Not cheaper if you figure in the labor costs, failure rates, and sysadmin costs for the scale of the oltp ops of a medium sized business.

If you have multiple sans and other storage available over multiple sites anyways, it becomes an incremental capital cost. With non-db docs and email and such being automatically copied over lines sized for video, it's just some more data to add in the db backups. And you can call it a private cloud to impress the easily impressed.

Surely cheaper than DG or strange block copy equivalents, although they serve a different purpose.

As always with this kind of evaluation, YMMV. But I must say, I've seen tapes fuck up in every site I've been in the last 30 years (in '80s cases, stuff like adjusting drives making all old tapes unreadable), and I'm not sorry to see them go. Even if I had to do some manual copy to store offsite, I'd just go buy 10 Tb-scale usb disks to cycle through, ya know? Even NASA has to get stuff _off_ of tapes before they deteriorate.

I have several generations of tapes and associated hardware in my basement, that I'll never even turn on. How silly is that? My last home PDP backup was around the end of 1987.

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
http://searchoracle.techtarget.com/news/2240159703/Oracle-survey-says-poor-data-management-causes-13-revenue-loss