Re: Project management melee

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2012 16:58:31 -0700 (PDT)

On Jun 13, 1:27 pm, John Hurley <johnthehur..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Mladen:
>
> # Noons, please observe that neither of us, both proud DBA 0.9B types,
> is out of work yet.
>
> Well neither am I although much more of a DBA .13 than those flaunting
> much higher calibre numbers.
>
> Cary's diagram and description though seems much more of a traditional
> waterfall development approach.  Someone doing a design giving it to
> someone else to code and someone else to support/operate eventually.
>
> I do not understand where the idea came that this is Agile although I
> know nothing of Agile except scrum meetings whatever those are ... a
> whole bunch of get in together and start coding together maybe?  My
> guess is that there is little of a design just rapid prototyping ...
> that does not seem to jibe with Cary's diagram.

You misunderstood - he was explaining the old way, and what was wrong with it, namely, no feedback. That is true and insightful. Where he goes awry is to think that agile methodologies fix that properly. The problem is, agile feedback is generated by the wrong people. But it seems like the right people because the feedback is immediate.

The putative mechanism for Oracle developers to get feedback is through support. We all know what a joke that is.

I have a big lawn in my backyard. It is overrun with ground squirrels. The ground squirrels are doing an excellent job in agile terms. However, they do not listen to my feedback: "Get off my lawn!" My view of their capability as landscape architects and their view do not jibe.

_at_Mladen: I'm pretty sure I've seen Tom say he considers himself more a developer, though with his emphasis on designing for performance, we don't have to believe him :-)

jg

--
_at_home.com is bogus.
"Designed, tuned, tested and fully documented, the Oracle Optimized