Re: Useful piece of software

From: onedbguru <onedbguru_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 30 Apr 2012 12:33:43 -0700 (PDT)

On Sunday, April 29, 2012 7:50:20 PM UTC-4, Mladen Gogala wrote:
> I am building my own RAC on my home desktop PC and, as expected, the
> largest problem was with bind (name server). I was trying to fix it for
> the whole afternoon, without success. I saw countless recipies, Tim Halls
> among others, but still couldn't get it to work.
> Then, I discovered dnsmasq:
>
> http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html
>
> That is the name server for small home networks, which reads the hosts
> file. Lo and behold, it took me only 10 minutes with it.
>
> ns1_at_ns1-VirtualBox:~$ nslookup rac1.localdomain
> Server: 127.0.0.1
> Address: 127.0.0.1#53
>
> Name: rac1.localdomain
> Address: 192.168.1.150
>
> ns1_at_ns1-VirtualBox:~$ nslookup scan.localdomain
> Server: 127.0.0.1
> Address: 127.0.0.1#53
>
> Name: scan.localdomain
> Address: 192.168.1.230
> Name: scan.localdomain
> Address: 192.168.1.220
>
> Now, that's a useful thing, if anyone needs it.
>

> --
> http://mgogala.byethost5.com

You have that problem only if you don't know DNS/bind :) :)

Just an FYI, you will have problems is you leave the SCAN-address(es) in the /etc/hosts file... you can only have one "name" entry in that file - if you have more than one, it will always read the first one. Make sure that when you nslookup multiple times that the scan-ip changes... Also, even in a two-node RAC, it is still recommended to have 3 scan addresses. Received on Mon Apr 30 2012 - 14:33:43 CDT

Original text of this message