Useful piece of software

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 23:50:20 +0000 (UTC)

I am building my own RAC on my home desktop PC and, as expected, the largest problem was with bind (name server). I was trying to fix it for the whole afternoon, without success. I saw countless recipies, Tim Halls among others, but still couldn't get it to work. Then, I discovered dnsmasq:

http://www.thekelleys.org.uk/dnsmasq/doc.html

That is the name server for small home networks, which reads the hosts file. Lo and behold, it took me only 10 minutes with it.

ns1_at_ns1-VirtualBox:~$ nslookup rac1.localdomain

Server:		127.0.0.1
Address:	127.0.0.1#53

Name:	rac1.localdomain

Address: 192.168.1.150

ns1_at_ns1-VirtualBox:~$ nslookup scan.localdomain

Server:		127.0.0.1
Address:	127.0.0.1#53

Name:	scan.localdomain
Address: 192.168.1.230
Name:	scan.localdomain

Address: 192.168.1.220

Now, that's a useful thing, if anyone needs it.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com