Re: SECUREFILES disaster

From: Mladen Gogala <gogala.mladen_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2012 17:10:05 +0000 (UTC)

On Sun, 29 Apr 2012 11:03:30 +0100, Jonathan Lewis wrote:

> If that's spill data in the standby isn't is populated when the incoming
> logical change records can't be applied fast enough to keep up with the
> source - and if that's the case, why would any extreme size be a
> surprise ?
> 32GB at 16KB per chunk is only 2M chunks; that might only be a few hours
> of overload to grow, and just like any HWM it just doesn't shrink.

Jonathan, when the data from the spill table gets finally applied the rows are deleted and there are "holes" in the extent. Those holes rarely get plugged, LOB segments tend to exhibit enormous growth rates, far faster than any other type of segments.
SECUREFILES implementation doesn't do me any good, it does prevent me from using shrink space command.

--
http://mgogala.byethost5.com