Re: Scripting language for DBAs

From: Noons <wizofoz2k_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2012 18:14:29 -0700 (PDT)

On Apr 13, 7:48 am, onedbguru <onedbg..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> ;)  It really depends.
>
> 1) sql
> 2) pl/sql
> 2) shell script (bash, ksh, c)
> 3) perl, python or php
> 4) DCL
> 5 (in no particular order) c, FORTRAN, COBOL, BASIC
>
> it really depends on the end goal and the platform needed and what is available.

Yes indeed. In Windows nowadays I like Small Basic a lot - in a nutshell: a 3-gl on top of the Windows Scripting Host that I knew and loved. Works a treat.
Although C# can be wicked!

For Unix, nothing beats the C-ksh-PL/SQL combo. Yes, I know perl can do a lot. I just don't have time to learn all its nuances and I already know the other three like the back of my hand.

As for all the other net-age languages - Python, ruby and such, just too niche for my taste. PHP is not bad. Same for javascript.

Java? I'm sorry, what was the question? Surely not common sense and ease of use! Great income building language, though: I've known projects run by its "eminences" which have lasted for over 10 years and produced nothing! Can't beat that for income!

Yes, I know: Oracle did bet the farm (stupidly!) on java nearly 10 years ago.
I hear there are a billion coders in that language in 3rd world countries: I'm sure that's excellent value for money. Provided it's not my money! Received on Sun Apr 15 2012 - 20:14:29 CDT

Original text of this message