Re: Scripting language for DBAs

From: Robert Klemme <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com>
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 09:26:18 +0200

On 16.04.2012 03:14, Noons wrote:
> As for all the other net-age languages -
> Python, ruby and such, just too niche for my taste.

Why "too niche"? Are you referring to functionality, code base, community or what else?

> PHP is not bad. Same for javascript.

PHP does not even have proper OO, no thank you.

> Java? I'm sorry, what was the question? Surely not common sense and
> ease of use! Great income building language, though: I've known
> projects run by its "eminences" which have lasted for over 10 years
> and produced nothing! Can't beat that for income!

Well, Java is not a scripting language although there are scripting languages available on the JVM. But Scala is way more niche than Python or Ruby I'd say.

Kind regards

        robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/