Re: oracle + linux/bsd

From: Pól <eff.off.if.you.think.youre.getting.my.email_at_anon.com>
Date: 29 Mar 2012 04:12:43 +0100

On Thu, 12 Jan 2012 22:43:14 +0100, geos wrote:

> I wonder what are the requirements for the minimally sized redhat-like
> distribution (or centos, or fedora) which allow oracle to run without
> issues? suppose I just don't want do download and install those GBs for
> the system. what would be minimalistic distribution to run oracle?

Runs fine on recent Ubuntu.

> and another question: what is the reason for not porting oracle to bsd
> family systems? are there really serious technical/philosophical
> differences which make porting not an option?

More coding, more testing, more support issues - those who run *BSD systems would normally be inclined to run PostgreSQL or MySQL.

> I saw some pages which
> describe installing oracle on non-supported linuxes (like gentoo): do
> this, do that and basically you're done and oracle works. but when it
> comes to bsd the only information was reporting Oracle 8.0.5 and 9i run
> on freebsd. it looks like tough task to run oracle on bsd. why?

You can run a Linux emulation layer which allows you to run any Linux executable on *BSD - but they cater to different markets - *BSD is a workhorse server for lots of functionality, but not for Oracle and the like...

Paul...