Re: Database management strategy

From: onedbguru <onedbguru_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 16:59:27 -0800 (PST)

On Feb 5, 11:22 pm, Yashik Vimal <yashikvi..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi there !  I am not a total stranger to database management but at
> the same time neither am i a database expert by any means.  I got a
> serious hypothetical question. Assuming i have a Oracle database that
> has been Online for a while and it is slowly running out of physical
> hard disk space. How will anyone approach this issue strategically ?
> Can a single database run on multiple physical Servers ?Appreciate
> your answer in simple and understandable words with less technically
> jargon
> thks in advance

Add an HBA+SAN storage and you can expand until you completely exceed your I/O bandwidth or the storage frame. This also makes it easier to expand into a RAC (Real Application Cluster) configuration.

Can a single database run on multiple servers? that depends. RAC - Yes. Bi-directional Streams - Yes, but I am not a fan of this configuration. There are others like Active Data Guard (sort-of like bi-directional streams) but better. The question is, how much $$$ are you willing to spend to get what you need. Received on Tue Feb 07 2012 - 18:59:27 CST

Original text of this message