Re: ASSM vs. non-ASSM

From: Gerard H. Pille <ghp_at_skynet.be>
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 21:21:41 +0100

Mladen Gogala wrote:
> I am engaged in a discussion about moving from 10g --> 11g. The
> tablespaces in this particular 10G are all created with the manual
> segment space management. I am reading the blogs and am aware of all the
> troubles that ASSM can cause, ranging from wasting space to problems with
> the free lists and even some spurious corruption issues.
> However, Oracle made ASSM default in version 10g, and this project is
> about upgrading a large production DB. What are the opinions here? Does
> it make sense to go with manual SSM or should I go with ASSM?

We have a couple of tables in which there are continuous inserts and deletes, at a dreadful rate, and we have to rebuild the indexes every week, to keep size and performance in check.

Could not fall back to MSSM, because system is also ASSM, I seem to remember. Received on Wed Jan 25 2012 - 14:21:41 CST

Original text of this message